Sunday, October 23, 2016

My Grand Tour, In Segments

I love to travel. That's not uncommon, many people enjoy traveling; the opportunity to experience another culture, or try new foods, and see amazing sites. And while I am opened to traveling to almost any destination, Europe is where I most want to go. I want to see the great art, the magnificent churches, the fairy tale castles & palaces, and explore the cities and villages that just abound with storybook charm.

Just like the aristocrats in the 17th & 18th century, and later upper-middle class Americans I want to bring home treasures. Don't get me wrong, I have no plans on pilfering ancient artifacts from the Acropolis, but I want to bring back the small Objet d' art, or small painting to clutter my house. I had managed one trip across the pond, back in 1981, but after that there was a long dry spell. Finances were mostly to blame, but there were other factors as well.

Fortunately in 2004 I married a man that loves to travel as well. but he really had no desire to go to Europe. Finally in 2013 I got him to agree, and with the exception of the plane flights he is enjoying our annual forays as much as I.

Bit by bit I plan of seeing as much as Europe as I can. Six times I have made the trip across the Atlantic, with numbers 7 & 8 planned for next year. I've been amazed, delighted, spellbound, and amused, but never bored.

I am writing my adventures down so as I get older, and my memory starts to fade, I can look back and remember of a life that traveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment